Your Personal Brand
More than ever before, audiences want to understand what the experience you provide is and who you are as a person before they choose to hire you. Being a service-based entrepreneur and a photographer for entrepreneurs, I value content and beautiful photography in business for so many reasons. It's critical to have content and photography that shows your authentic self and/or your product or service in a way that reflects your brand, but also so it shows the many shades of your personality and life.
Do you ever have those days when you know you should post something on social media but you're lacking inspiration or photos to share? I always recommend that service-based businesses or online businesses have their own stock photography for posting and blogging. It's a good idea to have a stock collection of photos that was created just for you to use for social media.
A few questions you can ask yourself when re-thinking your brand:
1. Does your headshot reflect you and your brand?
2. Does your headshot reflect your multi-dimensional personality?
3. Can your clientele get a sense of who you are based on your website and social media?
4. Does your photography or social media posts reveal what the service experience would be like?
And then think about types of posts you can make:
1. Personal posts: sharing aspects of your life outside of your business, including ones that are vulnerable, ones from travel, or pictures of yourself or personal opinions.
2. Business posts: sharing specific aspects of your business such as testimonials, specials, or examples of your work.
3. Engaging posts: asking questions or posting an inspiring quote to engage your audience.
4. Value posts: posts that give value to your audience or give them something for free such a knowledge, tips, "how to's", etc.
With such posts, it's always important to use photography and imagery with your stories so that you can create engaging content that builds your credibility over time.
So before you load your selfie onto Instagram, think about what your overall brand is and how you can add value to your audience, while remaining authentic to you!